Saturday, September 25, 2010

My first time.... at the GOAT Farm

Tuesday night I visited a Goat farm in rural Bowling Green with the BGSU pre-vet students. I am getting large animal and farm animal experience needed as a prerequisite to get into Veterinary Med school. When I attended the Stem event at BGSU a couple of weeks ago, I made contact with the Pre-vet students from BGSU, in which I was invited by the President of the student organization to go with them to the farms. Since UT doesn't offer this as a class or feature in the curriculum, its an advantage for me. Before applying for graduate school, its advised to have these experiences and instead of seeking this out on my own and going by myself, I have a group now that I can go with.

It is also a requirement to have at least 80 hours with a Veterinarian. Plus, all the studying I will have to do between now and next summer preparing to take the MCAT's, which will be 1 year out from hopefully attending Vet school, since I hope to graduate 2012 with my Bachelors in Biology. Looks like I am going to be very busy this next year or so! Probably won't have much time to work, compete in pageants or anything else for that matter! I would love to win a local title but I just can't fit as many pageants in to my schedule this year, not like I did last year. :(( I do really need to concentrate on these internships and MCAT's. My future depends on me successfully completing all the requirements before I can apply next year, so I have a limited amount of time to get it done plus taking full load of classes too! In addition to my responsibilities as Historian of Kappa Kappa Psi, which I have to attend all events and document with pictures and planning events such as the Band Banquet on Dec 4th which is my job to take care of it. So I am keeping very busy right now too! I will also be working with the TAHS starting in January helping with the after school programs with the Girl Scouts, in addition to my volunteering at the TAHS, and my summer camps teaching kids about being a responsible pet owner. PLus.... much much more to come!

Anyways, my Goat farm experience was a lot of fun and very informative. I will update this later with more details. I am going to sleep now since I have to be up in a few hours for the Race for the Cure.... please check back for pics!!!

<3 Jess

No comments: