Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"I kick my dog"

Okay, so here's the story about " I kick my dog" statement. I competed last week at Miss Muskingum Valley in Zanesville, Ohio as most of you know. I am very passionate about my platform and advocating for our furry friends is very important. I was so excited after my private interview as I felt it was the BEST interview that I have ever had in all the competitions I have done. It was 10 minutes of intense and hard core questions about my Platform. Questions about PETA, animal testing, cruelty and fur coats. I didn't know that one of Miss Ohio sponsors gives the new Miss Ohio a mink coat!! Being my platform is about Pets and against cruelty it would be hypocritical of me to accept a mink coat... don't ya think? Even though I would thank them for their support of the program I would ask for a faux fur instead! I think that is a reasonable compromise.

But, the kicker of it all, was when one of the judges admitted to kicking his dog. Yes... this truly happened in my interview. Several of the other judges looked at him like are you serious!! The judge was Kirk Barton, from Columbus, Ohio. A former Ohio State Buckeye football player and currently plays for the Detroit Lions. Google his name and there is a lot of pictures and articles about him. So what do you say to that? I was so shocked and taken back by that statement that I couldn't even concentrate on the next question he was asking. It was like a stab in my heart to hear him admit such a terrible act. So.... I called him on it! His rationale for this statement was.... you know when you come home from a long day and you have had a crappy day and the dog gets under your foot and you kick him to go away!!! Really???? After researching this I found out his dog is a little Yorkie too! My response to that is when I come home and have a bad day, I hug my pets and play with them and I feel so much better after. Sometimes, I will go volunteer at the Humane society to relieve stress and think! The animals are so accepting and loe when you pay attention to them. How can I justify this cruelty by kicking your dog to be excusable because your having a bad day!!! He later said he was joking...... was he really?? then why would you make a statement like that to someone whose platform is against animal cruelty and teaching being a responsible pet owner. Obviously, being a cocky football player excuses that disrespectful behavior.

What I was happy about, having a good interview about my Platform thinking it was awesome turned out to be a nightmare due to a jerk who had no business being on the judges panel. It is so true that Interview can make or break you. There is no way an interview can be judged fairly with a judge like Kirk Barton who shows no respect for himself, his dog or for the Miss Ohio program. To him it was a joke and he made sure he showed it by his actions. This same judge also thinks that Michael Vick is awesome. What part of criminal acts of abuse and cruelty is considered awesome? Vick was sentenced for animal abuse and cruelty, this is not a role model in my opinion. He also admitted to this team mates and fans that he did not give his all when playing before thus not making him a good team player or role model. So......I think I am justified in making the statement that Michael Vick is not a good role model. Even despite all the facts and information to justify my statement Kirk Barton still thought he was awesome. So.... does that mean he condoned dog fighting? Did he participate at some time in this illegal activity? Makes you wonder.

To some my Platform may be a joke to them and may not take me serious, but it means everything to me and it means everything to other people who have the same passion as I do for animals. Pets are my life.... and my future. Just like Football means everything to Kirk Barton, Pets and animals means everything to me. If I respect him and his sport, I think I deserve the same in return. He didn't have to agree with me but should have sit back and listened , maybe he would have learned a few things. Next he will be telling me Dance is not a Sport, when I practice just a much and as hard as he does in Football practice. Even Albert Einstein said "Dancers are the athletes of God". I guess this will be a debate for the next blog time.






Vick for Playgirl or PETA article

Micheal Vick speaking out on dog fighting

Mike Vick article


Second Chance for Michael Vick
">

The official Mike Vick website

okay so I found this on Mike Vick's website.....please check this out thought it was very interesting in lieu of his history, he has the nerve to call non-supporters Trolls!! What do you think?

I am a firm believer that everyone deserves a second chance. Despite the fact I still think Vick is poor role model I will say if he is sincere about what he is doing he is trying to make amends. See article here
But is he doing it because he lost it all and trying to regain it and his image that he destroyed or is he sincere about believing this and knows what he did was wrong and wants to make a difference! Time will tell!

No comments: